Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Goodbye South India, Tamil Nadu - Hello Central! Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

Leaving Mamallupuram...it's heat, it's humidity, it's unfortunate and sad piles of garbage which seems to create ditches along side the ditches from which many four paw species (including the locals) excavate what treasures may be found, it's cows roaming the beaches, it's mystical and majestic temples, it's pounding sounds of stone carvers lining the streets and shops, it's gypsies with babies on hips and volumes of beads for sale weighing down their fragile and thin skinned arms, it's foreigners lingering and lusting the locals, it's primitive and modern osmosis of beauty and ugliness...
I awake not to early having actually rested deeply for a few hours which the body seems to have rejoiced in. I will not miss the weather at all...
Finishing my practice, my prayers and such, a knock at the door brings the lovely sister and brother I meet yesterday and we enjoy breakfast together at 'The New Cafe' here in the Lakshmi Guesthouse where I have roomed.
Goodbyes for now and I pack my things heading to Rajan's shop for a last minute visit. Rajan and I have a chat and I share my photos from home. He came buy last night after I had already left my room to take me to a local wedding but we just missed each other. I will be back in September to visit again...
Rajan kindly drops me at the bus stand and awaits the arrival of my bus back to Chennai with me. It has been a joy to share time with him and I am most grateful for his generosity and kindness. We shall keep in touch...
Only standing room on the big old bus for now and away we go to the city. Ladies all around smile, gentlemen sleep, peer out the windows and nod their greetings. A nice 10 minute rest stop half way there gifts the stretching of legs and the vacancy of some seats. The drone of food offerings from the locals invites you to a snack. The air carries the smells of fresh chapatis, grilled chicken and the like for those in need. Groups stand around with small bill rupees in hand awaiting their turn for satisfaction of one's appetite. A thatched canopy propped on perfectly placed polls shades the tables and chairs offering a refreshing pause. The grill is a massive piece of stone with small holes on the bottom sides big enough for the kindling to fit and for the fire to grow and expand in it's greatness...Along the side stands a lonely sink and tap which is alone no more as we all take generous amounts of time soaking our steamed faces, our necks and arms. What a delicious relief...
Onto the bus again to finish the journey inward amongst the many. Chennai is met and I am happy to experience the heat without the humidity!
I head right to the New Woodlands Hotel and buy some juice, water and biscuits for the train as well as enjoy my lunch at Krishna Restaurant amongst the old friends I have found in the wait staff there. Then onto the KYM to take care of some last minute paperwork before heading across the city to Egmore train station.
A bit of time before the train is to load and a nice chat with a couple of young men from Hyderabad. They have come to apply for US study visas but were rejected. They had hoped to complete their MBA at New York University but now are entertaining heading to Australia.
As the time of departure approaches so does the activity level within the station and the train of course. I manage to get everything in before others in my berth arrive so that big ass bag of mine has a chance to get settled under the seats!
An Indian gentleman, living between India and Houston, Texas, and his 3 year old son (what a cutie!) are also in my berth as well as 2 other Indian families.
Sooooooo many questions in curiosity of me! A young Indian man, living in Iowa, here now for his marriage to a distant relative, acts as translator. His face says it all with such happiness and excitement as he has not see his fiancee since last year and in hours they will meet again!
It is a very interesting ride along with the hustle and bustle of people moving up and down the corridor, numerous languages being spoken, conversations and laughter being shared. This train will be for 14 hours with a number of stops along the way...
One of the families I meet, the father is a palm reader and his daughter Shanti is very keen on his reading my palm! They share their information as they have access to another area where I can find out more information from a temple about my entire incarnation in this life! I am thrilled as this is something I was searching for before but one has to be invited to the correct temple where the scrolls (they are also referred to as the Akashi Files)are protected and have been for thousands of years.
Apparently, the scrolls are written on palm leafs with sacred sanskrit characters. The scrolls are moved every 20 days, revolving between the temples. It is said that the scroll can only be matched to a person by their thumb print and the correct answer to a few questions about your present life. Should the answers and the thumb print match, the temple priest will proceed to read the scroll which contains all information about your past lives, your present and your future...I am to call Manyam tomorrow morning at around 8am when he will then give me the address of where to take an auto. Arriving at the temple, we will see what happens. My 'scroll' may or my not be there...
We arrived alittle late in Hyderabad, around 8am and I do not have the information to get to Muneera's house. I checked my email before leaving Mamallupuram but it was not there yet. To rushed upon my arrival to Chennai I relaxed knowing that I could figure it out when in Hyderabad. Little did I realize that the 'internet' isn't just 'available' at anytime. After hailing down a young man to help me with the typical 'Hello, do you speak English?' line, we were off in search for the needed email. I left my bag in the cloakroom at the train station among the dust and the history of British Colonial days gone by. We found a cafe soon, got the information and were off in an auto to that part of the city. I dropped the young man at the corner for his college and headed the rest of the way myself.
As I waited at the corner for Muneera's brother Ali to meet me, 5 camels with men, some with legs astride, and boys, heads covered in colorful scarf's, appeared walking along the street in comfortable unison! I stood in awe of a sight that seemed quite misplaced but only in India! In awe the moments and the hoofs passed before I thought of 'Oh! My camera!' and down into the bags I dug around as they slowly passed by. To late... I missed them this time but Ali told me that traveling to the Old City would reveal lots of camel sightings! He also spoke of a park near by that is more of an open forest. Since it rained this morning, wild peacocks would most likely be out to see in the early evening to do their 'raindance'! I shall definitely head there shortly after Muneera's arrival...
Muneera is to arrive shortly. It will be so nice to see her. She was delayed in her arriving and so yesterday I just rested among her family and in the quiet my bedroom
while here.
It was raining hard when I awoke this morning and now the sun is streaming gently and softly through the window...
Until we meet again, all my love!
Om
Jennifer

No comments: