Friday, February 8, 2008

Time to focus....

Here in Chennai the world moves fast, noisy, fully and completely with nailbiting swerves in the back of an auto rickshaw provided you are ready for the intensity...
Ladies are draped on the back of motorbikes and scooters. Their sari's light up the view in a rainbow of colour and some clutch a baby to their waist while the other hand is free to hold the cellphone to the driver's ear! Like a tight rope walker their confidence in the circus of it all is humbling to say the least!
Visiting the KYM (Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram)on Monday and meeting Radha was lovely... There she sat, goddess like in her sari, with a delightful and warm welcome for me. We setup class times for the week while I was here. Chanting with a familiar face, Akhila, would be for 2 hours a day and more classes could be scheduled with another teacher if I liked. As well, I was to have my Yoga Therapy consult with the doctor and have my asana classes with Radha.
Everything went really well and I have begun learning a new chant. My Sanskrit is coming along as well...It was a great challenge as the environment demands you have even more attention! The sawing machines and building all around you, the fans above, the busyness and sounds of life in the world outside meet you and invade your space, your thoughts...One must let it all go and dive deep into the sound and recitation of the task in front with firm and steady kindness to one's self...
The program designed for me is very strong. It focuses on my concerns and I am curious about it's unfolding. When I meet Radha in Austria again in April we will review as well...
The days were busy with studies in my room in the morning followed by brunch and then taking an auto rickshaw to the school for the majority of the afternoon.
Chris Brown from the UK is also here and although we had different classes, we would meet in the evening and spend dinner together. I also have met a lovely lady, Joelle, from the south of France at the hotel. Visiting for awhile with friends, they may join us for dinner this evening.
Tomorrow Sri TKV Desikachar will be giving a lecture in the morning at 815am. I am soooo looking forward to it! It will be the first time I am to meet, informally of course among the crowd, and experience his sharing. I am grateful to be here for it.
The afternoon will see me heading down the coast a couple of hours to the spiritual place of Mamallupuram where I will spend the day. On to Pondicherry the following day to experience that former Portuguese town. I have been told they are both lovely places...
Monday I return to Chennai as my train leaves from Egmore Station at 5pm heading to Hyderabad. I have the good fortune of visiting there with Muneera and her family for a few days. Abit of site-seeing together I suspect...
It is warm, really warm here with the added humidity... Days are usually around 35 or so and apparently summer has begun early this year...
I decided to focus on my studies while here this short time and not do any site-seeing within the city. Another time...
I'm off now to head back for solace in the silence of my room which I am most, MOST, grateful for!
Much love and blessings to you all
Kiss kiss
Om
Jennifer

No comments: