Wednesday, January 30, 2008

India....

Where does one begin...
The flight from Vienna?
I was deeply engaged with the head of a german woman... Let me explain! Her hair was arranged in such an interesting manner that is reminded me so very much of a fluffy whipping cream. I cannot tell you how fascinated I was with this act of artistry!
Ok, so a long and rather uneventful flight to Delhi... Not that I needed it to be eventful as I appreciated the calm before the storm so to speak.
The airport is being redone and the business of coming through customs gave time to take in the nets hanging from the ceiling, the rubble off to the side and the consistent haze in the air with a layer of dust/dirt coating everything...
I had time to change money while waiting for my pickup and then I found the slender Indian gentleman sent to collect me.
I walk outside to the thick presence of sandalwood incense in the air and the air is quite cool. 'A bit of a walk madam', he prefaced the journey out among the crowds and the parked vand, old cars, firepits with small crowds warning hands and drinking tea, all seeming to have its own efficient purpose and direction ... and yet, directionless... Exit the parking lot into on coming traffic woke me even more!
Ah, the car is in sight amongst the hundreds... My side, the left passenger side, appears to have a 'history'. I'm sure that concaved door was straight when it was purchased!
Everything is in and we are off around and beside the mounds of rubble from 'construction' (which appears to be everywhere) and the odd blanket covered body that steps out from the bush into the roadside.
Horns seem to have many various purposes - 'move out of the way!', 'I'm here', 'hello!', 'watch it', and really just for the fun of it. There seems to be a synphony playing everywhere with levels of pitch, intensity and length improvising a song!
It wasn't long before a sale of a visit to Rajisthan arrived in the minimial conversation. 'You take my number for deive but it secret for us. Promise, no tell boss. I trust you... and so on...' I tried to change the conversation and ensured that I would 'think about it'.
I was told, I have read, I have experienced the stray dogs before in Asia but nothing can ever really prepare you for the experience of seeing them everywhere... Near the street vendors they patiently wait for any generosity, between the streets among the bushes they sleep, amongst the crowd of the streets with the lotus eyed cows they meander and search for what appears to be unsearchable...and everywhere there lingers the scent of 'survival'...for everyone.
Arrival at the hostel/hotel would be a surprise for everyone and included a call to the shopkeeper. I was at a different place then had thought I had confirmed. After the shock wore off and I confirmed that the place would do with no visible 4 legged friends I tried my best, fully clothed, to settle into my sleeping bag for a few hours sleep as the shopkeeper was to meet me in the morning to confirm if indeed there was an error. It was 1am and I had been up since 4am when leaving Salzburg. My body so desired to surrender...
Knock, knock, knock on the fragile door at 930am woke me but not from any deep, luxorious slumber so I attempted to gather myself...
Tea and toast out in the sun on the patio rooftop with the shopkeeper Ringo confirmed that I was in the right place and errored in MY communications with two different people. I can handle this for 2 nights though. It kindo reminds me of the shacks I stayed in while in the Everest Region of Nepal many years ago...
Ringo is a certified tourism guide and has helped to secure my train tickets south to Chennai where I will head off to next.
There is a young Nepalese boy, probably 11 or 12 years, that has been somewhat assigned to me for help in coming here to the 'Cyber Cafe' and so forth. A few rupees in his pocket is worth the companionship and assistance to a lone foreign woman.
Well, it is 150pm and I am hungry... perhaps time for some chapati and tea...

Satisfied that craving and on to pick up a few things in Connaught Place. I am then advised that the better quality, hand loomed items that serve the test of time are found elsewhere. Clothing in the market is relatively inexpensive but quality does not appear.
Abdul, cousin of Ringo's, takes me to a shop where I buy a few proper, modest outfits for the ashram's and visits around. I also managed to deal a good price on a sari for more special occasions. They are creating it as ready to wear sari with hooks and pleating 'all in the right places for us western girl's' and they shall deliver it to my little room tomorrow afternoon. It was not my intention to buy so much but the understanding that the south will be more expensive with less selection pleased me (and I hope Chris too!). Helen, the very successful (obviously if she works her magic on others as on me!), said, 'Don't worry madam, as soon as he lays eyes on you in that sari he will ask for my address to have 5 more sent to you! I will give you my number for him to make easy the request!'. HAHA.....I hope you're right Helen!
Almost 830pm and I am tired... All my love and blessings to you all...
Om
Jennifer

No comments: